Zentangle Mask

How many of you have tried your hand at Zentangle®?  As you know by now I am very excited about this method of creating beautiful art.  At the CHA SuperShow one of the workshops I will be teaching utilizing the Zentangle® drawing style is an exotic home decor mask.  The black and white mask is mounted on a canvas which has been painted red and Zentangled.  I love the brilliant red background with the stark black and white...it's going to look great on my wall!

Zentangles we have prepared for the make and take at the CHA SuperShow.

Zentangle #2 - Tagh *
                                              1. Draw hump shapes.
                                              2. Draw additional lines of hump shapes.
                                              3. Continue drawing hump shapes to fill the section.
                                              4. Color a center area black to give the humps dimension.
                                                  *original Zentangle design

I love doing small Zentangle® http://zentangle.com designs. Try this meditative style of  drawing as you create fun patterns. If you have been creating your own Zentangles I would love for you to share your ideas with me.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 1/15/2010 1:30 PM Wendy T. Gibson wrote:
    I have a white mask just waiting to be Zentangled! Thank you for this amazing inspiration!
    1. 1/19/2010 11:11 AM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Wonderful Wendy, I hope to see your Zentangled mask!
  • 1/16/2010 11:38 PM joanne sharpe wrote:
    Love it all!!! Wish i was going to CHA to meet you. Fabulous stuff Suzanne. Hope we can connect after CHA. I sent you an email on your Hotmail.
    1. 1/19/2010 11:09 AM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Oh, thank you Joanne.  Hope to connect with you.
  • 1/19/2010 11:21 AM Mary Lynn wrote:
    Everything looks so great for the display! I know you are going to have a great time at CHA. I love the mask and would like to do one! Be safe and we will see you soon!
  • 4/29/2010 11:11 PM Kimberly Gabriel wrote:
    I have both of your Zentangle Basics books and am working my way through them. In some instances, I find the fact that the "next step" is not in a different colour makes it hard for me to figure out what I have to do. Probably related to printing cost? I do appreciate that the books were not that expensive. But I cannot figure out W2 on page 14. The first two tiles are identical and I can't really "see" what you do to get from tile three to tile four. It would be wonderful (!) if you showed us that tangle with the next steps being shown in a different colour. It is bugging me so much that I can't figure this out except by guessing (and good grief, I guess wrong so much) especially because this is truly a gorgeous pattern that would be useful to have in my (beginner) repetoire.
    1. 5/3/2010 9:21 AM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Kimberley, thank you for bringing that to my attention, you are right there is no difference.  Sorry for your frustration, we will correct it with the next printing for sure.  Several of my students have found W2 to be a little tricky as well.
      One thing I would suggest is turning the diagram to a 90 degree angle and see if it makes any more sense to you, and then simply draw what you see without trying to determine the pattern.  When you have turned the tangle and can see a line of 4 squares draw a line connecting 2 squares on the bottom of the squares, the next set of squares require a line connecting them on the top.  Alternate, one set of squares the line connecting them is on the bottom of the squares, the next line connecting the squares will be on the top.  For your second line of small squares begin by placing the connecting line on the top. Hope this helps ..let me know.
  • 5/25/2010 5:10 AM website development costs wrote:
    I will really like to visit to CHA Super Show to see your zentangles that will really give me the inspiration...
    1. 5/26/2010 9:32 AM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      CHA is a wonderful show to attend.
  • 9/13/2010 11:17 AM connie karst wrote:
    suzanne, on your Santa Fe blog you have a pic of a woman with zentangled clothes and a water coloured background. I was wondering how this pic was done. Where did the whole pic of the woman come from. How would I attempt something like that? Connie
  • 12/13/2010 9:43 AM Tina S. wrote:
    These arts really look beautiful. I have heard this art name zentangle for the first time. it will look beautiful on the walls.
  • 4/6/2011 12:33 PM Kaaren wrote:
    I just saw your brief video from Jerry's on Zentangle. About a year ago, I did these 9 small paintings for my bedroom wall (in bigger frames). I just started drawing designs. Each one is different. I HAD NO IDEA THERE IS A NAME FOR THIS...ZENTANGLE! And I thought I was being original! Thanks!
    1. 4/7/2011 11:24 AM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Kaaren, sounds like you are very original.  Many of us have drawn our own designs which are very similar to Zentangle.  The thing that is so great about Zentangle is the way it teaches you to break down difficult looking designs into small easy to follow steps you can repeat.  For me it has been kind of a different way of looking at some of my past work and figuring out the steps I took to get there.
  • 10/26/2011 8:33 AM Mary Phillips wrote:
    This is great material.. How would I purchase any?

Mary
  • 2/11/2013 9:30 PM Judy Hornbrook wrote:
    Of all the tangles I've been learning and practicing, Tagh is my least favorite - it isn't curvy/cute, and I can't say why, but if Tangles were on the playground, I'd think Tagh looked like a bully! ??

Page: 1 of 1