Dye a silk scarf for the holidays.

One of my favorite projects for this time of year is dyeing  silk scarves using Sharpie markers and alcohol.   These are so fun and easy to make.  They are wonderful holiday gifts.  My daughter Kristy and I usually make these every year for someone on our list.  Kristy is quite accomplished with the process and does a great job teaching you how to create your very own colorful silk scarf in this YouTube  video.

Kristy and i surrounded with our beautiful creations.

These scarves may be ordered from Dharma Trading Co.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 11/15/2010 10:36 AM Leilani wrote:
    I enjoyed this artical and also the video on Youtube, my question is, where can you buy the plain white scarves to do this art on?
    Thank you I so enjoy your blog.
    1. 11/16/2010 2:19 PM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      A really good resource for purchasing the scarves is http://www.dharmatrading.com/
      Happy to hear you enjoyed the YouTube!

• 11/16/2010 11:59 AM Lynn Hilton wrote:
    I love your silk scarves. Pls advise where I can purchase your books
    Thanks
    Lynn H.
    1. 11/16/2010 2:16 PM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Thank you Lynn, you can purchase the books at our website http://d-originals.com/
  • 11/16/2010 8:40 PM Genevieve Crabe wrote:
    What a cool technique! Thanks for the great video.
    1. 11/18/2010 12:02 PM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Thanks for viewing Genevieve!
  • 11/17/2010 3:18 PM Cookie wrote:
    Hi, Suzanne
    You should see the silk scarf I did for my Mom for her Birthday. I purchased a Scarf from Dharma Trading Co. Luckly where I live I can just drive there. I used Black Identi-Pens by Sakura to draw the zentangles and used silk inks to add color. I also used this No-Flo suitable to using with these silk painting inks so you can prevent the ink from bleeding out of control where you don't want a certain color. Gutta is good, too, but I only used Identi-Pens and Silk Inks on this project.

The Identi-Pens works the best on doing line drawing on silk. Any other markers will bleed and your lines will be raggedy and won't look right for zentangles. Be warned. If you do a large scarf, you will need 3 Identi-Pens for the finer tip. The thicker tip last must longer.
    1. 11/18/2010 12:05 PM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      I would love to see it Andrea.  I would also love to feature you as a guest artist on the blog.  If you are interested in showing your project on my blog email the photo and instructions along with your artist bio to zenderellas@hotmail.com.   You are so lucky to live close to Dharma..they have great products at great prices.
  • 11/17/2010 3:19 PM Cookie wrote:
    I can't see the photos of your scarf. Maybe it has something to do with my computer here at work.
  • 11/19/2010 11:48 AM Julia wrote:
    I love this scarf! You did a great job with it!! Thanks so much for posting this to our blog hop. I'm glad you could participate and I really hope you come back next month so I can see what else you make

Julia from FaveCrafts
    1. 11/29/2010 10:29 AM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Thank you Julia, enjoyed being part of it....love Favecrafts!!  You always  showcase such wonderful projects and designers.
  • 11/24/2010 7:47 PM Mylene Hillam wrote:
    I would love to be on your Christmas List *g*
    I'm on my way over to Dhama Trading to see all their goodies. Thanks for the lovely eyecandy!
    1. 11/29/2010 10:30 AM Suzanne McNeill wrote:
      Thank you Mylene, the people on your list will be thrilled!!  How wonderful to be so close to Dharma Trading.
  • 8/18/2012 2:48 AM Jane Bergman wrote:
    Can't wait to do these scarves with my craft group. Where can I get the big markers ? They don't seem to be availabe in Australia . Are they the brush sharpies. Thanks

Page: 1 of 1